Saturday, August 9, 2008

Next Project


I have been working on this quilt for a couple of months and I am now in the home stretch. This quilt is for a friend of mine at work. I needed some practice and I knew my friend would love receiving a quilt as a gift. This is just the quilt top.








This is the fabric I am going to put on the back and I have the binding all ready to go. The binding is all cut, sewn together and ironed in half.















The book that I got the pattern out of is called Quick & Easy Machine Quilts that I bought one time when I was at the Creativ Festival. Now let me be totally honest. The quilt I made is loosely based on the pattern in the book. I have never been very good at following a pattern. (way to much pressure and commitment :-0 ) The idea is the same though. I used 5 inch squares in a random pattern, so it looks more like a scrap quilt. The pattern calls for pretty little buttons to be put in the centre of some of the squares. I'm still undecided on that.


This weekend, I went out and did some shopping for quilt supplies (like I don't already have enough dodads) I went to my favourite quilt store The Ultimate Sewing Store in Oshawa, and indulged myself in a couple quilting treats.



I bought myself some Ricky Tims Stable Stuff Poly. I have not tried it yet, but ever since I watched Ricky Tims DVD called Grand Finale I have wanted to try it. It is a "multi-purpose, polyester-based stabilizer called Stable Stuff® Poly. You can tear it away - or not! You can leave it on the underside of your work" (So I don't get in trouble I have cut and pasted Ricky Tims exact words from his website above). He also uses Wash-A-Way thread for his basting and his quilting. Now I know, you are thinking well if it washes away why would you quilt with it??? But what Ricky does is he uses it as a tracing. He then uses regular quilting thread over the Wash-A-Way thread. You have to watch the DVD to get the full affect. My explanation is not doing the technique any justice at all.

So my big plan is to use the Ricky Tims Stable Stuff Poly on some of the squares in the quilt. Most of the quilt I plan on just quilting up and down the rows of squares but on a few of the squares I am going to do some "fancy" quilting inside the square and I'll use the Poly on those squares. He also uses the Poly to help act as Trapunto. (makes the quilting design kind of puffy). I'll take lots of pictures so you can see what I mean. Well, I'll take pictures if it turns out...ha ha ha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog . I find it very informative Especially like the blue quilt. Would be most interested in seeing the finished result. Hope you will put a picture up on your blog.

Trail

Stephanie said...

Hi Trail,
I sure will put up a picture of the finished quilt. I'm glad you are enjoying my blog. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Hello
And welcome, I`m very new aswell to quilting, its been mostly just plain patchwork for me over the years with x-stitch as well, but i would love to learn how to do quilting shapes others do over there quilts.
I shall lookforward to more of your blog
Happy stitching and Take care
Tracey

Stephanie said...

Hi Tracey,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Well, stay tuned, because I am going to try to trace a stencil with some pounce-on chalk on some of the squares of this quilt. It will either look great or wreck the quilt..(gulp) I have to save that for a day when I am feeling very brave..lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Thankyou for your message,
I have added you to my link, so i can catch up with you again,
Happy stitching,
Take care
Tracey

Stephanie said...

Hi Tracey,
That's great...thank you. I will add your blog to mine as well.
Take care!!