Sunday, September 7, 2008

Round Robin Border

I am a quilting mad woman these last few days. Finished the quilt for my friend at work and finished the border for the Round Robin I am participating in.

I must admit I was a little perplexed with the quilt top I had to add a border to. So I took the quilt top to my favourite quilt lady's store and begged for help. Shirley was wonderful...she whipped open the quilt top took one look at it and said "no wonder you don't know what to do with it." Yikes!! I knew I was in trouble then and there. She decided that I needed to put a plain border on it to calm it down and the designed she picked for this quilting newbie was Flying Geese. (GULP) But I don't know how to do Flying Geese I sobbed. Well, that was all Shirley needed to hear...she quickly got some scrap material, rushed over to a sewing machine and promptly gave me a lesson on how to do a Flying Geese border.

P1010004 Shirley's example

P1010005 My test patch.

I decided I did a pretty good job so I forged ahead.


P1010006

The material is a navy blue moira ( I hope I've spelt that correctly). The goose is done with the wrong side of the material and the sky is done with the correct side of the material.

P1010008 Close up of border.

P1010007 Finished border.

Now that I've gotten all caught up on my projects, I'll have to start a new one. HMMM....what to do next?

You'll have to stay tuned to see. LOL.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well., again I am so impressed. Great job on the border. I do like the flying geese. And I do think that the dark blue calms the quilt down quite a lot. The owner of the quilt should love it as well.

Trail

Sara said...

I like it, it looks great! The border definately adds to it! Flying geese aren't that bad, once you know how to do them! LOL!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Sara. Yes, I was surprised how easy flying geese were to do.

Cat said...

Very nice!

Stephanie said...

Funny, I was just reading the October issue of American Patchwork and Quilting and they have a quilt with flying geese on the cover. There was also a realy great article on freemotion quilting skills. Looks very nice, great job.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much for being my friend ,
I do love your blog loads, I think flying geese is a great style for border, and the pink and green go well on the quilt, your doing fantastic,
Take care